Seared Sea Scallop with a Chilled Tomato-Herb Gazpacho
Serves 2 People
Items You Will Need
2Each Large Sea Scallops
2 TBSP Pure Olive Oil
1tsp Salt & Black Pepper Mix (3 parts Kosher Salt / 1 part Black Pepper)
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Chives (Chopped)
¼ tsp Flakey Sea Salt (Fleur du Sel)
¼ Cup Herb Salad (Dill, Parsley, Chives & Tarragon with Olive Oil, Salt & Lemon)
½ Cup Cucumbers and Red Onion Mix (2 parts Diced Cucumber / 1 part Diced Red Onion)
1 ½ Cup Chilled Tomato-Herb Gazpacho (Vine-Ripe Tomatoes, Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Fresh Basil, Shallots, Garlic and Black
Pepper marinated warm for 4-6 hours, pureed until smooth and chilled)
- Directions To Make
- Clean the scallops by removing the ‘foot’ and drying them off thoroughly.
- Season the Scallops with Salt & Pepper Mix.
- Drizzle the Olive Oil over the Scallops to completely coat.
- Allowing the Scallops to marinate with this mixture, prepare other ingredients to complete your dish.
- Heat a heavy duty skillet on a medium flame. (Using a non-stick pan will not allow the scallops to caramelize, reducing the flavor)
- Coat the Scallop in the oil thoroughly and place into the pan on the largest side. (Presentation side first)
- Allow to cook until a brown crust forms around the edges. (Approximately 1 Minutes)
- Turn the Scallop over and allow to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. (If the scallop is large, reduce the heat slightly, so as to finish cooking without burning the Scallop.)
- Remove from the pan and allow to rest while arranging the plate.
- Steps to Plating
- Prepare the Gazpacho or other accompaniment.
- Pour 6oz of Gazpacho into the bottom of the bowl.
- Spoon the Cucumber/Red Onion Mixture into the middle of the bowl creating a base for the Scallop.
- Arrange the Herb Salad on top and serve.
- Drizzle some Extra Virgin Olive Oil around the Gazpacho.
- Finish the dish with a sprinkle Chopped Chives around the Gazpacho and a pinch of Flakey Sea Salt (Fleur du Sel) over the Herb Salad/Scallop.