Poached Spot Prawns and Roasted Beet Salad
Serves 2 People
Items You Will Need
1 Pound Spot Prawns
¼ Cup Onions
¼ Cup Celery
¼ Cup Fresh Herbs (Dill, Parsley, Tarragon: Any Soft Herbs will work)
2 Quarts Water
2 Ounces Lemon Juice (Fresh Squeezed)
1 Cup White Wine (Dry: Sauvignon Blanc, Chablis, Etc. NO Chardonnay)
1 TBSP Salt & Black Pepper Mix (3 parts Kosher Salt / 1 part Black Pepper)
2 Cups Wild/Rustic Arugula
1 Cup Frisee (Curly Endive)
½ Pound Baby Beets
2 Ounces Sherry Vinaigrette (Shallots, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Lemon Juice, Sherry Vinegar, Salt & Pepper Mix.)
½ tsp Flakey Sea Salt (Fleur du Sel)
1 tsp Chives (Chopped)
1 tsp Lemon Zest
- Directions To Make
- Delicately peel the shell from the tail section of the Spot Prawns, leaving the heads in tact. Set the Spot Prawns aside while preparing other ingredients.
- Combine the Water, Onions, Celery, Herbs, Lemon Juice, White Wine and Salt & Pepper Mix in a shallow pot.
- Bring this mixture to a low boil, and then reduce the heat allowing to simmer 2-3 minutes to extract the flavors. Reduce the heat to low and gently place the Spot Prawns into the liquid. Allow to poach in this liquid for two (2) minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove from the liquid and rest on a plate.
- Steps to Plating
- Prepare the accompaniments for the Salad:
- Roast the Beets by tossing in a mixing bowl with Olive Oil and Salt & Pepper. Lay them out on a sheet pan and roast in the oven at 350°F for about 15-20 Minutes (depending on the size). Once the beets are finished roasting, remove and slice in ½ lengthwise.
- Mix the Arugula and Frisee in a mixing bowl with the Beets and ½ of the Sherry Vinaigrette.
- Place this mixture into a bowl and surround with Spot Prawns.
- Drizzle the remaining Sherry Vinaigrette around the Spot Prawn and Salad Mixture.
- Finish the dish with a Pinch of Sea Salt, Lemon Zest and Chives.