Northwest Clam Chowder
Serves 2-4 People
Items You Will Need
1 Pound Manila Clams (wash shells thoroughly)
1 Cup Clam Meat (Whole or Chopped)
2 Cups Clam Juice
2 Cups Russet Potatoes, Diced 3/8” (Approximately 1 large Potato)
½ Cup Yellow Onion, Diced
½ Cup Celery, Diced
¼ Cup Carrot, Diced
2 Strips Bacon, Thick Cut (cut into 3/8” strips)
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 TBSP Whole Butter
½ Cup White Wine, Dry
½ tsp Kosher Salt
¼ tsp Black Pepper, Freshly Ground
1 tsp Thyme Leaves, Fresh
- Directions To Make
- In a medium sauce pot, slowly render the bacon until the fat is cooked out.
- Add the butter and ensure that the bacon does not over cook.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the celery and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the white wine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the clam juice, bring to a simmer, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the clam meat and bring back to a simmer.
- Add the salt and pepper and continue to simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, bring back to a simmer, and turn the heat down to low for 10 minutes allowing the liquids to reduce and thicken.
- Add the fresh thyme leaves and continue to simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes to finish.
- Steps to Plating
- Separately steam the live manila clams as a garnish. Ladle the soup into the bowl and arrange the clams.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. Serve with warm crusty sourdough bread and a glass of dry white wine.