Jumbo Crab Cake with Classic Tartar Sauce and Arugula Salad
Makes 6-8 Crab Cakes
Serves 4-6 People
Items You Will Need
(For Each Plate)
1 Each Crab Cake (3-4 Ounces Each)
½ Cup Wild Arugula
1 tsp Lemon Oil (3 Parts Olive Oil / 1 Part Fresh Lemon Juice)
1 pinch Flakey Sea Salt
2 Tablespoon Tartar Sauce
½ Each Grilled Lemon
Recipe: Crab Cake
1 Pound Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
1 Tablespoon Yellow Peppers (Small Dice)
1 Tablespoon Red Peppers (Small Dice)
1 Tablespoon Chives (Chopped)
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 Each Large Egg
½ Cup Bread Crumbs
½ Teaspoon Habanero Chili Pepper (Small Dice)
¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Ounces Clarified Butter for cooking
- Directions To Make
- Combine all the ingredients in the crab cake except for the crab meat and bread crumbs.
- Over an ice bath, fold in the crab meat.
- Gently add the bread crumbs until thoroughly mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Pre-Heat the oven to 350°F while prepping the Crab Cakes.
- Take a round ring or a round mold and press in the crab mixture to form a hockey puck-like disk. Repeat until all the crab meat mixture is used.
- When ready, gently coat the top and bottom of the Crab Cake with Bread Crumbs.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the clarified butter and cook the crab cake about 2 minutes on both sides until golden brown. (Be careful not to cook too hot, as the butter will burn quickly)
- Remove the Crab Cakes onto a cookie sheet and place in the pre-heated oven for 5 minutes to cook throughout.
- Remove from the oven and place the cooked crab cake on a paper towel so the excess oil drains, reserving for plating.
Tartar Sauce or Traditional Remoulade
- Steps to Plating
- Spread the tartar sauce across the front of the plate.
- Place the crab cake in the center of the plate, slightly overlapping the sauce.
- Toss the Arugula